This is a photo of the large, royal stupa at Wat Chedi Luang. In 1468, the famed Emerald Buddha was installed in the eastern niche of the stupa. It was later moved. Today, the Emerald Buddha is at Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok.
There is an interesting anecdote about the time when the revered Forest Tradition founder and master Luang Pu Mun was staying at Wat Chedi Luang: Upon hearing that the authorities were about to appoint him abbot of the temple, he promptly packed up his few belongings and disappeared from Chiang Mai for the next 11 years.